Saturday, February 2, 2013

Small Shino Serving Dish

A definite shino shiner in my book. Porcelain w/shino glaze with other glazes on top, as well as a sprinkle here and there of wood ash. Shinos are such interesting glazes, especially in reduction (gas or wood) firing. They have the potential for so much variation, both in color and texture - all in the same glaze on the same pot.


To illustrate my point about variability, the burnt-orange color inside of the dish and the whitish rim seen below are the exact same shino glaze. This is where ceramics is like jazz. Those who aren't into it won't think much about it, while those who dig it, REALLY dig it. Control freak that I am with the clay and my forms, I love letting the glaze and the fire do its thing on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment