Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Color

I'm working with a handful of different colored slips for this project, mixing the colors together much like paint with the knowledge that the fired color will be different than what I see here. Colors change in the kiln as the slips (or glazes) are fused or melted, depending on the ingredients of the slips or glazes in question, so I'm mixing and applying the colored slips with that in mind. The temperature will also influence the color, as well as the texture or sheen. The bisque firing takes place at around 1860 degrees, while the final firing I intend will be even hotter, meaning, the slips will deepen or become somewhat richer still.

That said, here are a few photos of the dragon platter after the application of various colored slips using a few different techniques, all of which incorporate a brush.




Once bisque fired, I'll apply several other engobes, overglazes, and washes before the final firing, after which, I'll also enhance the piece with oil paints to achieve the look I'm intending. This is a sculptural piece as opposed to a functional piece, so it's not necessary that the entire surface treatment be fired on, though the permanency of that is somewhat appealing.

More progress to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment