Thursday, February 21, 2013

Shino Tea Bowl

This tea bowl was thrown with a very white, almost translucent porcelain body. The glaze is the same Malcolm Davis shino I discussed in a previous post. You can see that the glaze is clearly influenced by the body beneath it and looks much different than those in that previous post. It is for this reason that I'm developing various slip recipes with which I can influence my glazes without having to alter the glaze itself. After all, I'd rather be able to mix one big bucket of a successful glaze, then alter its characteristics with slips and application methods, as opposed to mixing several containers of the same glaze tweaked out in different ways. That can become costly as well as wasteful (of both limited space and materials).



No comments:

Post a Comment