Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tools and Toolmaking

I'm an advocate of not only using some of the simplest of tools for sculpting, but also making them. These are fabricated out of hedge or "osage orange" as it's more commonly known. This photo illustrates the 1/4" thick wood blanks I start with for these particular shapes, though you can see I've drawn some others on the blanks. The bottom two tools are finished and ready to work with.


These are shapes that I find the most versatile.


A page of tool sketches I have made or will be making for use in my sculpting or pottery production:


The possibilities are seemingly endless, depending on the task or application for which the tool is intended.

The long throwing rib above is approximately 9" in length. The dark tools are made of East Indian rosewood - scraps from my guitar fretboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment